Location: Evans Street, Ashburn, Georgia
Date: March 13, 2021
“Not only did he make two blades of grass grow where one grew before, but he made many blades to grow where none grew before, and served his generation well.”
Men of Mark in Georgia, pg 226.
Evans Street located in Ashburn, Georgia within the city limits is named for John West Evans (September 27, 1844 – January 16, 1904). Born in Hancock County, John and his wife Ella Bohannon Evans (December 27, 1852 – February 22, 1910) moved to Turner County in 1888 before it was even known as Ashburn or Turner County. John soon established himself as one of Turner County’s most entrepreneurial citizens and a leader in establishing the town as we know it. John was a prominent partner in the J.S. Betts Company with his brother-in-law John Samuel Betts (July 29, 1848 – April 25, 1918), and brought a lot of interest to the area with their sawmill.
He built a grand Victorian house located on S Main St. known as the Evans House in 1897. He became Ashburn’s first postmaster in 1889 and served until his death in 1904.
Men of Mark in Georgia: A Complete and Elaborate History of the State from Its Settlement to the Present Time, Chiefly Told in Biographies and Autobiographies of the Most Eminent Men of Each Period of Georgia’s Progress and Development, Volume 6. Men of Mark in Georgia: A Complete and Elaborate History of the State from Its Settlement to the Present Time, Chiefly Told in Biographies and Autobiographies of the Most Eminent Men of Each Period of Georgia’s Progress and Development, William J. Northen
To see more of the Turner County Road Name Project, check out our other roads here!
Participate in the
Turner County Road Name Project!
Are you interested in submitting information on a road name in Turner County?
Fill out this form and share your info for a chance to be featured.
Information is the goal but we LOVE to also have a photo sent to our email!1
Leave a Reply