Location: 327 Hudson St. in Ashburn, Georgia
Date: February 20, 2021
Ashburn’s Historic Driving Tour Stop #24
This Georgian-style home was built in 1896 by John Robert Patton (September 13, 1859 – March 20, 1898), as a gift for his wife Fannie McLendon Patton (September 23, 1869 – November 9, 1949). Apparently, it was a complete surprise to Fannie when her husband took her for a ride one day and showed her the new home. The family moved from the house in 1902 to Macon but it stayed in the family until the 1969. It has since been refurbished by newer owners but it’s still referred to as the “Patton House.”
Fannie Patton died in Macon in 1949. The Wiregrass Farmer made note of her death in the November 17, 1949 edition: “Mrs. Patton is kindly remembered by many here, being a citizen of Ashburn for a long number of years in the early days of town and owned at the time of her death considerable real estate here. She was the daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. J.T. McLendon, pioneer citizens of Ashburn.”
Alda Street and Monnie Street that is a street over from the house were named for Patton’s two daughters, Alda Patton Alexander (July 8, 1896 – May 14, 1966) and Monnie Corine Patton (January 15, 1897 – May 25, 1969).
Leave a Reply